Saturday, January 29, 2011

Being a JOYful mom takes intentionality!

J

Jesus first! Spending time daily with Jesus is SO important. My confidence MUST be in Him! Favorite devotional: Jesus Calling by Sarah Young



O

Others in my family ~ hubby and kids! Loving my hubby well brings joy to our whole family. Our kids need to know that mommy and daddy love each other, and we want a relationship that will last once the kids leave home. We were recently encouraged in a marriage conference to make an effort to have at least three 6-second full body hugs daily (I usually hold on for more like 10!). It makes a difference! I can love my hubby by showing him respect, planning date nights, praying for him and with him, and doing little things I know he likes just to show that I love him.

Family time is a huge priority to me. Eating dinner together. Family game nights. Family trips out to ice cream or building our own sundaes. Family time in God’s Word. Family singing and prayer time. Serving together as a family. Family celebrations. Creating family traditions.

Modeling humility and grace to my kids: My kids aren’t perfect and neither am I. When they mess up, I forgive them. When I mess up, I need to ask them for forgiveness. Like last week when I raised my voice at my 11-year old and semi-shouted, “When you talk back to me it makes me so mad!” Then I sent her off to school and realized I had just given her a guilt trip. As soon as she got home from school that afternoon, I asked her if we could talk privately and I explained, “Honey, I owe you an apology. This morning I told you that you make me mad when you talk back to me. That’s not true. I CHOSE to be mad. You didn’t MAKE me mad. We have a choice on how to respond to people, and I did not choose well. I am sorry. Will you please forgive me?” She did, and it was a triple-teachable moment: 1)not blaming how we feel on someone else, 2)seeking forgiveness, and 3) extending grace.

Y

Yourself! Being a joyful mom means taking good care of myself. Keeping up on doctor appointments, eating healthy most of the time, going on walks, reading some good books, spending time with my girlfriends…at MOPS or Starbucks, at a conference or on a road trip. I’ve got to have time for me to feel refreshed and ready to take on motherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment