Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mother-daughter journals

About a year ago I prayed for ideas on how to grow closer to my then 10-yr old who is growing up way too fast. An idea sparked…a mother-daughter journal! So I got a special journal and wrote her a little note and asked a question, then left it on her pillow. That evening my heart leapt for joy when I saw that cute polka-dot journal lying on MY pillow. She wrote back and included her own question for mom!

Our mother-daughter journal has now been going on for over a year! In writing, we have talked about God, friends, her struggles, her hopes and dreams…her frustrations. Wow, what a great tool to get her “talking” about real life stuff!

A few of my questions to her:
What do you learn from Colossians 3:12?
What ideas do you have for building your friendship with your sister?
How are you feeling about your play?
What are your thoughts about going on a mission trip someday?
How have you learned to depend on God when you face challenges in life?
Is there anything you want to share with me about anything?

A few of her questions to me:
Look up Hebrews 5:17. What does it say? (My answer: Nothing, silly girl; it doesn’t exist!)
Did you ever have teachers you were friends with and they just knew you?
What is your dream vacation?
What are some memories of your grandparents and you?
How do you deal with stress? (Wow, she asks some good questions!)
What is a story that spoke to you and taught you about God?
Is it hard for you to live the life of a mom and wife? I know you love it, but is it hard work taking care of us, daddy, the house, cooking, cleaning, etc? (Insightful kid!)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea, I love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete