Friday, January 28, 2011

Mother-daughter dates!

I just got home from a great date…with my 4-year old! We took advantage of the fact that the older girls are at a friends’ house and Daddy is working late…so we went to Taco Time, and the best part…we didn’t go through the drive-thru…we actually ate INSIDE!

Mother-daughter dates are so much fun - for me and for my girls. Having one-on-one time with me helps them to feel special and loved, and allows me time to listen to them uninterrupted. I try to ask questions that help me get into their world a bit. Tonight it was, “So who do you play with at preschool?”

This year, I have started something new with my 7-yr old. She was feeling like she never gets time alone with me, so one morning a few weeks ago I woke her up an hour early (sooo tough for me…I love my sleep and just think it’s wrong to get up before 7 am, but it was so worth it!). We got up at 6 and headed to Starbucks (while everyone else was still sleeping) for “kid coffee” aka vanilla steamer and my new fave, a skinny caramel macchiato. We spent an hour talking, reading in her devotional, looking up a few scriptures and just talking about life. She LOVED it so much, she wants me to wake her up early every week! So, once a week, we have our early morning date. Most of the time we stay home in our robes and I make hot chocolate. It’s great having this time to connect!

My 11-yr old is at a precious stage in life when growing in her faith is very important to her. We meet once a week after school while the other girls busy themselves with activities upstairs and go through a tween girls Bible study together. I love that she is interested in learning more about God WITH her mom! The best “dates” for her usually include shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment